Monday, April 27, 2009

Welcome to The Prog Blog / Atomic Rooster

I'll be blogging here about some of my progressive rock faves. My interest in prog really comes from being a huge fan of Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, and Marillion as a kid. The internet has introduced me to lots of other bands since that time...some things that have blown my mind and others that are not my cup of tea. But you won't see a lot of griping and criticizing of bands I don't like here...I'd rather go down the first road and talk about the music I love. I'll leave the negative press for other people to waste their time with.

Lately I've been listening to some Atomic Rooster and really digging it. In Hearing Of and Made in England. That first one in particular is brilliant. The track "Breakthrough" has got to be one of the greatest of this genre...killer keyboard work on this one, and I can't get it out of my head. Vincent Crane is a major force on the keys. Browsing online, I notice that England tends to get lesser reviews from folks, mostly due to the addition of vocalist Chris Farlowe. This I don't understand, personally...I think Farlowe sounds genius. Definitely an acquired taste as his voice is quite affected, but man there is some soul in that throat. Great stuff. Actually there's a YouTube video of Rooster performing "Breakthrough" with Farlowe (Pete French was the vocalist for the original version on Hearing) and I really like it. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment