Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Landberk - Riktigt Äkta

I picked this CD up many years ago after I heard the closing track "Undrar Om Ni Ser." Though I liked it the first time I listened, it was one of those things that really started to grow on me even more after repeated plays, and when it had finally taken hold I just had to buy the CD. The whole album is really this way for me; it doesn't knock you over the head, but slowly works its way into your bloodstream.

Landberk hail from Sweden. Their music is dark and melancholy, but not oppressive. The songs are actually quite beautiful, and they take their time to develop. If you're expecting lots of flashy keyboard work and blinding unison leads, you won't find them here. There is lots of space, plenty of room to breathe, and some of the longer tunes (like the one mentioned above) build very nicely. Take your time with this one-- don't listen on the road or when you are busy with something else. Listen to this album with the lights off and just let it soak in.

The guys in Landberk are clearly great musicians but they know how to hold back and play tastefully. Keyboardist Simon Nordberg contributes some beautiful Mellotron work. Guitarist Reine Fiske is a team player but when the time is right he comes to the forefront with some searing, gut-wrenching guitar solos. Bassist Stefan Dimle and drummer Andreas Dahlbäck provide a solid foundation punctuated by appropriate outbursts. And even though I don't understand the language, it's clear that vocalist/guitarist Patric Helje is an expressive, emotional singer.

The aforementioned track that brought me to this album is still one of my favorites, but surprisingly, the other track here that stands above the rest for me is the bonus track "Tillbaka." Though the tone of it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album-- it's a short, upbeat track with a simple pop song structure-- it's absolutely brilliant. It's very catchy, with a angular guitar riff and prominent Melltron, and a burning guitar solo from Fiske. I don't know whether this bonus track is on other CD issues or not. The one I have is the Record Heaven CD from 1995. This one is worth seeking out!

3 comments:

  1. I actually have this album but it's been a long time since I listened to it. This review makes me want to go back and revisit it again. There are some very, very interesting bands in Sweden and Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music is always admirable. We need to do something that is worthwhile and amazing. Who cares as long as we are happy? I am the one listening the performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is more a part of our daily lives than at any other point in history. Yet we expect people to devote two hours of their day to pure listening, sitting quietly, and politely applauding at the end of a piece. This has its place, but it doesn’t have to be the steadfast rule.

    ReplyDelete